This is a very frequent question that Malaysia’s 407 owners will ask before or after they owned the car. Surprisingly, even most of the Sales Adviser will commenting that the Malaysian Variance for the 407 does not equipped with alarm apart from Immobilizer. Well, this is so so not true. As far as I have tested on 2 x 407 ( Delivered @ January 2010 ) including another incident on my friend’s 407 that he forgotten to close the boot has triggered the Alarm Siren on the 407.
Not only that the 407 has alarm, they are separated into 2 types.
1. Internal Protection
Any pressure changes, movement in the cabin will triggers the Alarms. When trigger, a rather weak siren actually sounded with the signal lights flashing. The Internal Protection also will be triggered if any doors are opened when the Alarm is armed. Internal Protection is always armed when you lock / dead lock your car from remote.
2. External Protection
External protection is when you need to keep let say your pets, children or anyone in the car with probably slight windows opened, you can activate the alarm by only External Protection where internal movement would not trigger the ultrasonic sensor ( next to the map reading light button ). To activates only the External Protection, off the car ignition, then press the Alarm button ( right hand side next to the Door lock button ) for about 1 to 2 seconds, the LED will lights up. Then close the door and press the lock button on your remote / or dead lock.
If you only want to lock / dead lock the car without alarm arming.. just use the Key to lock instead. In this case, only the Door Lock button will have the LED flashing at 1 sec rate.
Here are a few simple steps you can follow to test for your Alarm..
– Testing Internal Protection.
- Off the Ignition
- Open the door and close the door ( with yourself still sitting in the car, this is to cheat the Car that you already get out from the car. Else, I think the car will have all the signal light flashing if you directly engage lock from remote without “getting out from car”. This seems like can become a panic button )
- Lock the car using the remote ( with yourself still in the car ).
- Wait for the cabin light / dashboard info LCD are turned off.
- Move yourself in the car or wave your hands in front of the Ultrasonic sensors.
These should trigger the Alarm Siren and all the Signal light flashing.
Testing External Protection.
- Repeat 1 to 5 from the above but in stead of waving your hands.. just open the door. This should trigger the alarms as well.
- Use either your key to insert and start ignition or use the remote to Open the door, this should disarm the Alarm.
Test is out to see if these do works on the 407